Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 4 - Buckskin Gulch (with Zeke again)

Boy, did everything catch up with me today.

Between the heat (another 90+ day), the elevation (over 6000 ft), the hiking (3 sets of trails in 4 days) and running on all cylinders back in Rochester before the trip, I finally crashed hard. I made it back from Best Friends around 4 pm, and couldn't stay awake. I was out for about 2 hours, interrupted by doing my laundry for tomorrow's departure.

Tomorrow will be a long day. One more hike outing with Zeke, followed by my final session at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, and then the drive (3.5 hours) back to Las Vegas to catch the red-eye to Rochester.

I have Zeke with me again. The afternoon's are too hot to do anything outside. So we are hanging out in the hostel (The Cowboy Bunkhouse). Later it will cool down to the high 80's. My primary concern is Zeke's paws being hurt by the hot sidewalk. Last night we went down the street for a coffee (OK, I went down the street for a coffee and brought Zeke with me.) The best time to do things with him is the early morning.

Photos from Buckskin Gulch and the slot canyon

Buckskin Gulch was interesting as the slot canyon was longer and deeper. So it was a good trip, even if it is a bit outside of Kanab. I was just a bit disappointed as after several hundred feet into the canyon, there was a 30 ft drop that I was not inclined to attempt. As always the scenery was gorgeous - in that western Rocky Mountain way.

The afternoon was full of chores at Best Friends. I did everything from cleaning the runs, to filling water pails, to cleaning dipping pools to preparing and serving the afternoon feeding. And all of this  requires me to interact with zero technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment