Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 1 - Best Friends and Grand Canyon

Well, as always flexibility is important to enjoying yourself.

Here is a quick list of things where I needed to be able to adjust.

1. It's too damned hot for the dogs to go hiking, esp in the afternoon, even if I can do it.

2. Best Friends folks know what they are doing, even when I would like something different.

3. A change in my prepared plans opens up other opportunities.

4. A kiss from a dog (Lottie) makes  everything all right.

Milo

Info
Mariska

Info

Loves to chase lizards. I needed two leashes, one in each hand to keep her safe.


Lotti

Info

Our little outing changed from a short hike to a car ride. But she gave me a kiss at the end of the ride. 
Diogi

Info


One big difference this time is how much responsibility the care givers delegate. The other times, I was at octogons which up to 3 or 4 dogs per living area with multiple living areas. These dogs are socialized and can be with other dogs. At the runs,The care givers keep a tight rein on access to the building which means the volunteers are often outside ... waiting.

Yesterday I was at lodge. It's only one dog per living area. These dogs have issues with not having a lot of personal space. Here the caregive basically handed me a list of dogs, and said to just take them out for walks. Translation: I was trusted to not cause problems. That is sort of rewarding.

So far it is a tough call which I prefer.

Grand Canyon Pictures

So this was one of those things that just fell into place because other things fell out of place. I had given thought to going to the North Rim, but learned that dogs are only allowed on one trail.

Well, since it is July 4th and Best Friends was not allowing sleep-overs because the dogs get too excited during the fireworks, I had a free evening. So off I went, 90 miles to the south, but I must say that it was worth it.

There are a lot of trails, but I only got to do three in the time allotted, but 2 of the three were spectacular. See the pictures above.

Some observations:
- There are people who climbed out on the rocks to get closer to the edge. One couple invited me out to join them, but I graciously declined and stayed on terra firma instead.
- As an introvert, it's hard to connect to strangers. But tonight I tried hard to smile and say hello to strangers. It worked kinda well, but it's easier when you're hiking because that becomes the common thread.
- Joked with one lady who had three toy dogs. I told her "Three because two is not enough." She laughed.

At the hostel tonight I met a nice young man over late night snacks. Edu is from Spain, has hiked the northern El Camino and is working on his doctorate in image analysis.

I have to go to bed. Will update some more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment